PIAC tackles difficult social problems that impact on the lives of many Australians. We conduct test cases and strategic litigation in the public interest, and provide legal assistance, policy advice and training to create positive change to the lives of people who are disadvantaged and marginalised.
Changing the system through public interest test cases
- Indigenous Justice
- Mental Health and Insurance
- Police accountability
- Asylum Seeker Health Rights
- Discrimination and human rights
- Government and the rule of law
Homeless Persons Legal Service
Breaking the cycle of disadvantage for people experiencing homelessness
- Legal help at 15 outreach clinics, staffed by over 500 pro bono lawyers
- StreetCare: advocacy and practical advice to government and service providers
Energy and Water Consumers’ Advocacy Program
The voice of energy and water consumers in NSW
- Research and policy development to promote affordability and sustainability
- Representing consumer interests in regulatory processes
Policy and law reform
Working with government, business and the community in the public interest
- An influential and authoritative voice in the media
- A respected stakeholder, making submissions of substance
Truth and Accountability
Advancing transitional justice:
- Supporting truth-telling and accountability processes for large scale, systemic violations of human rights and international humanitarian law.
- PIAC is a public company limited by guarantee
- PIAC is a Public Benevolent Institution registered with the Australian Charities and Not-for-profits Commission
- PIAC is endorsed as a Deductible Gift Recipient by the Australian Tax Office.
We are proud to support the Australian Human Right’s Commission’s Racism it Stops with Me campaign.