We are an independent, non-profit organisation that works with people and communities who are marginalised and facing disadvantage.
We build a fairer, stronger society by helping to change laws, policies and practices that cause injustice and inequality.
What we do
Our work combines:
- legal advice and representation, specialising in test cases and strategic casework;
- research, analysis and policy development; and
- advocacy for systems change and public interest outcomes.
We actively seek to collaborate and partner in our work to maximise its impact.
Our current priorities:
- Equality and non-discrimination
- First Nations Justice
- Reducing Homelessness
- Climate Change and Social Justice
- A fairer NDIS
- Truth-telling and government accountability
- Fair use of police powers
- Equal access to health care for asylum seekers
- Sustainable, affordable energy and water for households
- PIAC is a public company limited by guarantee
- PIAC is a Public Benevolent Institution registered with the Australian Charities and Not-for-profits Commission
- PIAC is endorsed as a Deductible Gift Recipient by the Australian Tax Office.
We are proud to support the Australian Human Right’s Commission’s Racism it Stops with Me campaign.