This submission draws on PIAC’s earlier submissions to the ALRC, NSWLRC and the Department of Prime Minister and Cabinet. It discusses the necessity of balancing the value of privacy with other fundamental values including freedom of expression. PIAC addresses the detailed legal design of a statutory cause of action for serious invasions of privacy, including legal thresholds, the public interest, fault elements, damages, defences, exemptions, remedies, who may bring a cause of action, as well as location and forum.
Media Releases & Coverage
- 30 Nov 20232SER: Uncovering misuse of handcuffs in immigration detention
- 17 Nov 20232SER: Fighting the NDIS age cap at the UN
- 16 Nov 2023Asylum seeker settles handcuff case against Serco, govt
- 15 Nov 2023Commonwealth settles case with asylum seeker who missed medical appointments because of handcuff PTSD
- 15 Nov 2023Asylum seeker settles handcuffing case against the Commonwealth