This submission draws on PIAC’s earlier submissions to the ALRC, NSWLRC and the Department of Prime Minister and Cabinet. It discusses the necessity of balancing the value of privacy with other fundamental values including freedom of expression. PIAC addresses the detailed legal design of a statutory cause of action for serious invasions of privacy, including legal thresholds, the public interest, fault elements, damages, defences, exemptions, remedies, who may bring a cause of action, as well as location and forum.
Media Releases & Coverage
- 3 Dec 2021New report: Two years after Medevac, asylum seekers still waiting in hotels for urgent medical treatment
- 24 Nov 2021Parliament must reject ‘worse than feared’ Religious Discrimination Bill
- 21 Nov 2021Opinion: Australia must raise the age of responsibility to 14 or keep trapping children in a quicksand of criminality
- 17 Nov 2021Opinion: Religious Discrimination Bill still discriminates against many, despite removal of Folau clause
- 17 Nov 2021Axing ‘Folau clause’ small step forward, but bigger problems remain in Religious Discrimination Bill