This submission draws on PIAC’s earlier submissions to the ALRC, NSWLRC and the Department of Prime Minister and Cabinet. It discusses the necessity of balancing the value of privacy with other fundamental values including freedom of expression. PIAC addresses the detailed legal design of a statutory cause of action for serious invasions of privacy, including legal thresholds, the public interest, fault elements, damages, defences, exemptions, remedies, who may bring a cause of action, as well as location and forum.
Media Releases & Coverage
- 20 Jan 2023Australia fails to meet anti-torture deadline
- 9 Jan 2023‘Very legal loopholes’: Consumer groups seek tighter buy now, pay later curbs
- 22 Dec 2022Albanese plan has ‘dealt a blow’ to east coast gas supply
- 21 Dec 2022Consumers stuck with Snowy 2’s ballooning grid costs despite NSW energy deal
- 21 Dec 2022Anthony Albanese labels NSW energy deal ‘one of the biggest announcements’ he’ll make in office