The Moving forward national consultation project included a consultation process and research during 2001 and 2002, conducted by PIAC in partnership with Stolen Generations groups, the Human Rights and Equal Opportunity Commission (HREOC), the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Commission (ATSIC) and other Aboriginal organisations. The Restoring Identity report first published in 2002, proposed a Stolen Generations Reparations Tribunal to address the claims and particular needs of members of the Stolen Generations groups, their families and communities. The Stolen Generations Reparations Tribunal offers an alternative to legal claims by the Stolen Generations. Reparations packages would be designed to help people heal and move on with their lives, with emphasis on measures to support groups and communities.
Related Media Releases & Coverage
- 10 Aug 2023Reconciliation in Action
- 8 Aug 2023Groundbreaking website to empower First Nations truth telling in Australia
- 27 Jul 20232SER: Making sense of the Yes pamphlet
- 25 Jul 2023New website launched to drive national truth-telling
- 24 Jul 2023We all know about the stolen generations. We didn’t always hear about those who opposed the law at the time