PIAC commends New Matilda on its work to develop a Federal Human Right Bill and on its campaign to seek community engagement with this process. Overall, PIAC supports the content and framing of the Bill, but proposes expanding the protection in the area of social, economic and cultural rights. PIAC also supports a more robust role for the judiciary in dealing with incompatible legislation and more clarity in respect of the provisions that provide for limiting human rights protection in certain circumstances.
Media Releases & Coverage
- 19 Sep 2022Activists Want The UN To Look Into Inhumane Use Of Handcuffs On Asylum Seekers
- 19 Sep 2022Being handcuffed for medical appointments left asylum seeker Yasir shaken. Why is it happening?
- 16 Sep 2022Call for UN torture watchdog to investigate Australia’s handcuffing of asylum seekers en route to medical care
- 16 Sep 2022Handcuffing in Australian immigration detention needs urgent review ahead of UN visit
- 9 Sep 20222SER interview: energy reliability