PIAC commends New Matilda on its work to develop a Federal Human Right Bill and on its campaign to seek community engagement with this process. Overall, PIAC supports the content and framing of the Bill, but proposes expanding the protection in the area of social, economic and cultural rights. PIAC also supports a more robust role for the judiciary in dealing with incompatible legislation and more clarity in respect of the provisions that provide for limiting human rights protection in certain circumstances.
Media Releases & Coverage
- 18 May 2022Facing the Truth about Indigenous Australians
- 18 May 2022Law faces the truth on Indigenous impact
- 16 May 2022Disability discrimination case highlights challenges faced by airline customers travelling with electric wheelchairs
- 2 May 2022Rising electricity prices pushing households to the wall
- 30 Apr 2022‘I wanted my independence’: How Connor took on the NDIS and won