PIAC commends New Matilda on its work to develop a Federal Human Right Bill and on its campaign to seek community engagement with this process. Overall, PIAC supports the content and framing of the Bill, but proposes expanding the protection in the area of social, economic and cultural rights. PIAC also supports a more robust role for the judiciary in dealing with incompatible legislation and more clarity in respect of the provisions that provide for limiting human rights protection in certain circumstances.
Media Releases & Coverage
- 20 Jan 2023Australia fails to meet anti-torture deadline
- 9 Jan 2023‘Very legal loopholes’: Consumer groups seek tighter buy now, pay later curbs
- 22 Dec 2022Albanese plan has ‘dealt a blow’ to east coast gas supply
- 21 Dec 2022Consumers stuck with Snowy 2’s ballooning grid costs despite NSW energy deal
- 21 Dec 2022Anthony Albanese labels NSW energy deal ‘one of the biggest announcements’ he’ll make in office