PIAC commends New Matilda on its work to develop a Federal Human Right Bill and on its campaign to seek community engagement with this process. Overall, PIAC supports the content and framing of the Bill, but proposes expanding the protection in the area of social, economic and cultural rights. PIAC also supports a more robust role for the judiciary in dealing with incompatible legislation and more clarity in respect of the provisions that provide for limiting human rights protection in certain circumstances.
Media Releases & Coverage
- 8 Dec 2023PIAC investigating a class action for people handcuffed in immigration detention
- 5 Dec 2023It's legal to deny insurance on mental health grounds, but Belle wants that changed
- 30 Nov 20232SER: Uncovering misuse of handcuffs in immigration detention
- 17 Nov 20232SER: Fighting the NDIS age cap at the UN
- 16 Nov 2023Asylum seeker settles handcuff case against Serco, govt