PIAC responded to the ACCC’s Issues Paper regarding their inquiry into Australia’s retail electricity market. PIAC strongly supports the ACCC investigating this market and suggests that they use their powers of discovery to investigate areas of the market including the appropriateness of retail profit margins and how costs are passed on the customers. PIAC makes a number of recommendations including to improvements to help consumers get the best retail offer, investigating regressive retailer discounting limitations, marketing practices that inhibit competition and communication about hardship programs.
Related Media Releases & Coverage
- 5 Aug 2021Increased energy bill support welcome news for NSW households under lockdown
- 22 Jun 2021Community and industry collaborate for better outcomes for people experiencing vulnerability
- 1 Jun 2021Treasury plans to give energy retailers control of consumer data should be abandoned
- 12 Feb 2021Overhaul needed for water planning
- 4 Feb 2021Energy rule-maker rejects rent-seeking bid, protects consumers