PIAC responded to the ACCC’s Issues Paper regarding their inquiry into Australia’s retail electricity market. PIAC strongly supports the ACCC investigating this market and suggests that they use their powers of discovery to investigate areas of the market including the appropriateness of retail profit margins and how costs are passed on the customers. PIAC makes a number of recommendations including to improvements to help consumers get the best retail offer, investigating regressive retailer discounting limitations, marketing practices that inhibit competition and communication about hardship programs.
Related Media Releases & Coverage
- 9 Jan 2023‘Very legal loopholes’: Consumer groups seek tighter buy now, pay later curbs
- 22 Dec 2022Albanese plan has ‘dealt a blow’ to east coast gas supply
- 21 Dec 2022Consumers stuck with Snowy 2’s ballooning grid costs despite NSW energy deal
- 21 Dec 2022Anthony Albanese labels NSW energy deal ‘one of the biggest announcements’ he’ll make in office
- 21 Dec 2022Overhaul of energy concessions needed as three million households struggle to pay their energy bills