PIAC responded to the ACCC’s Issues Paper regarding their inquiry into Australia’s retail electricity market. PIAC strongly supports the ACCC investigating this market and suggests that they use their powers of discovery to investigate areas of the market including the appropriateness of retail profit margins and how costs are passed on the customers. PIAC makes a number of recommendations including to improvements to help consumers get the best retail offer, investigating regressive retailer discounting limitations, marketing practices that inhibit competition and communication about hardship programs.
Related Media Releases & Coverage
- 29 Sep 2023Australia’s transmission task needs a new approach – let’s open it up to competition
- 28 Aug 2023Eraring extension unnecessary: Government has cheaper, cleaner options
- 25 Aug 20232SER: Turning down the gas
- 18 Jul 2023“We can electrify the smart way, or the slow and expensive way”
- 15 Jun 2023Consumer groups welcome Knock to Stay Connected customer code for energy companies