PIAC responded to the ACCC’s Issues Paper regarding their inquiry into Australia’s retail electricity market. PIAC strongly supports the ACCC investigating this market and suggests that they use their powers of discovery to investigate areas of the market including the appropriateness of retail profit margins and how costs are passed on the customers. PIAC makes a number of recommendations including to improvements to help consumers get the best retail offer, investigating regressive retailer discounting limitations, marketing practices that inhibit competition and communication about hardship programs.
Related Media Releases & Coverage
- 9 Sep 20222SER interview: energy reliability
- 24 Aug 20222SER interview: everyone deserves a healthy home
- 28 Jun 2022Does Australia need Tasmania to become a multi-billion-dollar 'Battery of the Nation'?
- 23 Jun 2022AUDIO: Calls for energy businesses to operate in good faith
- 19 Jun 2022‘The prices are so much more’: how apartment dwellers get locked into bad power deals