Our services

Eligibility criteria

HPLS provides free legal advice and assistance to clients who are experiencing homelessness or at risk of homelessness.

This includes:

  • people who sleep rough;
  • people who live temporarily with friends/families due to homelessness (eg ‘couch surfing’);
  • people living in boarding houses/hostels/hotels;
  • people in private rental accommodation where their housing security is at risk; and
  • people in public housing where their housing security is at risk.

Areas of law we can help with

  • Financial hardship: credit card debts, fines, difficulty paying loans, debt collectors, helping to sort out bills with private companies
  • Consumer or contract issues: unfair contracts, insurance, door to door sales, scams, funeral policies, superannuation
  • Centrelink: pensions and payments, debts, fraud prosecutions
  • Housing: eviction, repairs, rent or issues with Housing NSW/community housing, private or public housing bans from previous tenancy problems, debts that prevent getting into public housing
  • Violence: victim of violence, apprehended violence orders (AVOs), victim’s compensation
  • Criminal matters: charges by police, court attendance notice, bail, seeking changes to a court order, such as bail or parole conditions
  • Discrimination or harassment: employment, education, provisions of goods and services, housing
  • Complaints about government authorities: police, schools, government departments
  • Employment: loss of employment, entitlements, bullying and harassment

HPLS Referral Form

Areas where we cannot assist but can make a referral

  • Family law: divorce, child support, child protection, FACS matters
  • Immigration: visa issues, refugee applications
  • Property: disputes about property
  • Neighbourhood disputes
  • Personal injury: compensation for injuries through accidents
  • Wills: drafting wills

We offer free interpreter services for Culturally and Linguistically Diverse (CALD) clients. 

We are committed to preserving client confidentiality and privacy at all times.

If you need help for a legal problem that we do not assist with, we recommend contacting Law Access on 1300 888 529 or your local community legal service (find your local CLC).


Pin It on Pinterest