When Daniel* was taken into custody for the first time at the age of 17, he had never experienced any mental health issues. He was on remand for more than a year as he waited to face trial, and by the time a jury found him not guilty he was “different in the head”.
Related Media Releases & Coverage
- 17 Aug 2022‘No child belongs in prison’: 128,000 signatures to raise the age in NSW and Victoria
- 15 Aug 2022‘A huge toll on my mental health’: challenge to the use of segregation as punishment in youth justice centres
- 15 Aug 2022‘It broke my mind’: Former youth detainee sues after being held in solitary confinement
- 27 Jul 2022Pandemic policing: The impact of COVID-19 fines on the justice system
- 4 Jul 2022NSW Police Targeting First Nations Kids With System Of ‘Pro-Active’ Monitoring