When Daniel* was taken into custody for the first time at the age of 17, he had never experienced any mental health issues. He was on remand for more than a year as he waited to face trial, and by the time a jury found him not guilty he was “different in the head”.
Related Media Releases & Coverage
- 30 May 2023Over-representation of Aboriginal people in New South Wales prisons "highest on record"
- 30 May 2023Proportion of Aboriginal inmates in NSW hit a record 29.7% in February
- 30 May 2023‘Growing crisis’: Record level of Aboriginal people in NSW prisons, new data reveals
- 30 May 2023NSW prisons more unequal than ever with record level of Aboriginal people behind bars
- 23 Mar 20232SER: Police oversight body calls for an overhaul of ‘consorting laws’