The Australian Human Rights Commission has again publicly called for the Commonwealth government to transfer into the community, those immigration detainees who do not pose a security risk, in light of the unique challenges if a COVID outbreak were to occur in a facility. Read coverage in the Mirage News.
Related Media Releases & Coverage
- 19 Aug 2020Ombudsman highlights excessive use of force in immigration detention
- 5 Aug 2020Re-opening Christmas Island is a cruel and ineffective response to the threat of COVID-19 in immigration detention
- 1 Jul 2020Ombudsman statement on COVID-19 risks in immigration detention: Department urged to reduce numbers
- 10 Jun 2020Ban on mobile phones in immigration detention unnecessary, unjustified and harmful
- 3 Jun 2020Commonwealth Ombudsman to report on COVID-19 responses in detention facilities