At the Public Interest Advocacy Centre, our mission to achieve social justice and defend human rights has never been more important. As many Australians face one of the most testing periods of our lifetimes, we know that vulnerable people in our community will feel the effects of this crisis the hardest.
PIAC has been able to swiftly respond to the changes and challenges of the COVID-19 pandemic. We have been able to mobilise our skills and expertise in policy advocacy and litigation to:
- protect the health and safety of people seeking asylum held in immigration detention;
- promote COVID-19 responses that meet the needs of people who are experiencing homelessness or at risk of homelessness;
- ensure households have access to essential services, like power, water, telephone and the internet;
- scrutinise the policing of public health orders and highlight the risks of the over-policing of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people;
- protect people in prisons and young people in detention; and
- ensure proper scrutiny and accountability of government actions during the COVID-19 pandemic.
While we have responded swiftly to the emerging needs of this crisis, we have kept our long-term goals and strategy on track to achieving social justice.
Please consider making a tax deductable donation to PIAC’s 2020 End-of-financial-year Appeal so that we can remain at the forefront of this important work.
Our PIAC Partners provide more certainty for our work, and we are very grateful for your leadership giving and regular donations. If you would like to discuss your gift to PIAC please contact Ann Sloan on 02 8898 6523 or email [email protected]
Thank you for choosing to support PIAC.