PIAC supports the rule change proposed by the AER and the AEMC’s draft rules to provide additional transparency into the replacement expenditure of network businesses and encourage cost-effective non-network alternatives. PIAC considers that it will lead to lower costs for consumers overall by ensuring more efficient network investment as these benefits outweigh any compliance burden on network businesses. PIAC supports the draft determination to provide the AER with additional discretion around any revenue smoothing required. Furthermore, PIAC supports the additional transparency of the process by having the AER make this as a separate decision and expects that consumers and other stakeholders will have opportunity to provide input to this.
Related Media Releases & Coverage
- 28 Aug 2023Eraring extension unnecessary: Government has cheaper, cleaner options
- 25 Aug 20232SER: Turning down the gas
- 18 Jul 2023“We can electrify the smart way, or the slow and expensive way”
- 15 Jun 2023Consumer groups welcome Knock to Stay Connected customer code for energy companies
- 20 Mar 2023Government dragging its feet regulating Buy Now Pay Later sector, causing more grief for the vulnerable