PIAC supports the rule change proposed by the AER and the AEMC’s draft rules to provide additional transparency into the replacement expenditure of network businesses and encourage cost-effective non-network alternatives. PIAC considers that it will lead to lower costs for consumers overall by ensuring more efficient network investment as these benefits outweigh any compliance burden on network businesses. PIAC supports the draft determination to provide the AER with additional discretion around any revenue smoothing required. Furthermore, PIAC supports the additional transparency of the process by having the AER make this as a separate decision and expects that consumers and other stakeholders will have opportunity to provide input to this.
Related Media Releases & Coverage
- 2 May 2022Rising electricity prices pushing households to the wall
- 25 Feb 20222SER interview re Renewable Energy Zones
- 5 Aug 2021Increased energy bill support welcome news for NSW households under lockdown
- 22 Jun 2021Community and industry collaborate for better outcomes for people experiencing vulnerability
- 1 Jun 2021Treasury plans to give energy retailers control of consumer data should be abandoned