In PIAC’s response to the Discussion Paper prepared for the Inquiry into modernising Australia’s electricity grid, it is argued that to future proof the energy system, it is critical to balance grid reliability and security with sustainably affordable energy services. When modernising the grid, it is critical to bear in mind that a system in which many consumers cannot afford energy is not a sustainable system. In PIAC’s view, there is an urgent need to revisit energy market and network regulatory arrangements with a view to reducing complexity and enhancing competition. Governance arrangements must be transparent, have clear accountabilities and, be accompanied by enhanced consumer representation in decision making. System security and reliability can be improved through the increased use of demand management solutions, the use of batteries and cost reflective network tariffs.
Related Media Releases & Coverage
- 29 Sep 2023Australia’s transmission task needs a new approach – let’s open it up to competition
- 28 Aug 2023Eraring extension unnecessary: Government has cheaper, cleaner options
- 25 Aug 20232SER: Turning down the gas
- 18 Jul 2023“We can electrify the smart way, or the slow and expensive way”
- 15 Jun 2023Consumer groups welcome Knock to Stay Connected customer code for energy companies