PIAC supports the proposal in the AEMC Governance Legislative Amendments to increase the number of Commissioners in the AEMC and standardising the appointment process. However, we remain concerned that the recommendations from the Governance Review final report and this legislative amendment do not go far enough in expanding the breadth of perspective and experience of AEMC Commissioners. This may lead to maintaining the status quo where, in the view of many energy market stakeholders, consumers’ perspectives continue to be underrepresented in the policy and regulatory decisions. Ensuring the breadth of the Commissioners’ perspective will also be more important as the AEMC’s role as policy advisor to the COAG Energy Council was confirmed in the Governance Review.
Related Media Releases & Coverage
- 28 Aug 2023Eraring extension unnecessary: Government has cheaper, cleaner options
- 25 Aug 20232SER: Turning down the gas
- 18 Jul 2023“We can electrify the smart way, or the slow and expensive way”
- 15 Jun 2023Consumer groups welcome Knock to Stay Connected customer code for energy companies
- 20 Mar 2023Government dragging its feet regulating Buy Now Pay Later sector, causing more grief for the vulnerable