PIAC supports the proposal in the AEMC Governance Legislative Amendments to increase the number of Commissioners in the AEMC and standardising the appointment process. However, we remain concerned that the recommendations from the Governance Review final report and this legislative amendment do not go far enough in expanding the breadth of perspective and experience of AEMC Commissioners. This may lead to maintaining the status quo where, in the view of many energy market stakeholders, consumers’ perspectives continue to be underrepresented in the policy and regulatory decisions. Ensuring the breadth of the Commissioners’ perspective will also be more important as the AEMC’s role as policy advisor to the COAG Energy Council was confirmed in the Governance Review.
Related Media Releases & Coverage
- 2 May 2022Rising electricity prices pushing households to the wall
- 25 Feb 20222SER interview re Renewable Energy Zones
- 5 Aug 2021Increased energy bill support welcome news for NSW households under lockdown
- 22 Jun 2021Community and industry collaborate for better outcomes for people experiencing vulnerability
- 1 Jun 2021Treasury plans to give energy retailers control of consumer data should be abandoned