The Independent Review into the Future Security of the National Electricity Market provides an opportunity to recommend changes that support innovation in response to the transformation underway in Australian energy markets. Currently the energy market favours incumbents at the expense of competition from emerging players. In this submission PIAC outlines some systemic weaknesses of regulatory and market outcomes. In PIAC’s view, there is an urgent need to deregulate, consolidate and reduce complexity in order to enhance competition. PIAC believes partial changes are unlikely to address the systemic weaknesses, especially the unbalanced nature of the rule making. The changes must be accompanied by enhanced consumer representation, as well as making governance arrangements more democratic, transparent and accountable.
Related Media Releases & Coverage
- 5 Aug 2021Increased energy bill support welcome news for NSW households under lockdown
- 22 Jun 2021Community and industry collaborate for better outcomes for people experiencing vulnerability
- 1 Jun 2021Treasury plans to give energy retailers control of consumer data should be abandoned
- 12 Feb 2021Overhaul needed for water planning
- 4 Feb 2021Energy rule-maker rejects rent-seeking bid, protects consumers