Amnesty International and Human Rights Watch released a report in August 2016 condemning conditions of confinement for asylum seekers and refugees on Nauru. Serious concerns were raised about the availability and adequacy of medical and mental health care for both immigration detainees and refugees living in the community. Amnesty International’s findings are available here.
Related Media Releases & Coverage
- 30 Nov 20232SER: Uncovering misuse of handcuffs in immigration detention
- 16 Nov 2023Asylum seeker settles handcuff case against Serco, govt
- 15 Nov 2023Commonwealth settles case with asylum seeker who missed medical appointments because of handcuff PTSD
- 15 Nov 2023Asylum seeker settles handcuffing case against the Commonwealth
- 19 Dec 2022A Legislative Vacuum: The Healthcare Crisis in Onshore Immigration Detention