Amnesty International and Human Rights Watch released a report in August 2016 condemning conditions of confinement for asylum seekers and refugees on Nauru. Serious concerns were raised about the availability and adequacy of medical and mental health care for both immigration detainees and refugees living in the community. Amnesty International’s findings are available here.
Related Media Releases & Coverage
- 3 Aug 2021Parliament must reject a spate of Bills that will introduce sweeping powers and deny basic rights
- 16 Jun 2021Government must reduce numbers in immigration detention to protect from COVID
- 25 Feb 2021Detained asylum seeker given bucket to shower, after dispute with authorities over medical treatment
- 12 Dec 2020'Humiliating': lawyers decry Australia's handcuffing of asylum seekers for court visits
- 7 Dec 2020ABC RN Breakfast: Refugee brings landmark test case against handcuffing by Australian Border Force