This submission responded to Jemena Gas Network’s five-year pricing proposal to the Australian Energy Regulator (AER). In the submission, PIAC supported Jemena’s proposal for a real reduction of 20% in the prices paid by a typical residential consumer over the five-year period. PIAC also supported Jemena’s proposal to give consumers a smooth price path over the period of the price determination and to reduce the fees associated with gaining a special meter read (prior to changing gas retailer). However, PIAC also noted that some areas of Jemena’s proposal warranted close scrutiny, and recommended that the AER undertake the necessary analysis. In particular, PIAC expressed concern that Jemena had proposed a weighted average cost of capital (WACC) that was inconsistent with the AER’s Rate of Return Guideline and recommended that the AER not approve Jemena’s proposal in this area.
Related Media Releases & Coverage
- 29 Sep 2023Australia’s transmission task needs a new approach – let’s open it up to competition
- 28 Aug 2023Eraring extension unnecessary: Government has cheaper, cleaner options
- 25 Aug 20232SER: Turning down the gas
- 18 Jul 2023“We can electrify the smart way, or the slow and expensive way”
- 15 Jun 2023Consumer groups welcome Knock to Stay Connected customer code for energy companies