This submission responded to Jemena Gas Network’s five-year pricing proposal to the Australian Energy Regulator (AER). In the submission, PIAC supported Jemena’s proposal for a real reduction of 20% in the prices paid by a typical residential consumer over the five-year period. PIAC also supported Jemena’s proposal to give consumers a smooth price path over the period of the price determination and to reduce the fees associated with gaining a special meter read (prior to changing gas retailer). However, PIAC also noted that some areas of Jemena’s proposal warranted close scrutiny, and recommended that the AER undertake the necessary analysis. In particular, PIAC expressed concern that Jemena had proposed a weighted average cost of capital (WACC) that was inconsistent with the AER’s Rate of Return Guideline and recommended that the AER not approve Jemena’s proposal in this area.
Related Media Releases & Coverage
- 2 May 2022Rising electricity prices pushing households to the wall
- 25 Feb 20222SER interview re Renewable Energy Zones
- 5 Aug 2021Increased energy bill support welcome news for NSW households under lockdown
- 22 Jun 2021Community and industry collaborate for better outcomes for people experiencing vulnerability
- 1 Jun 2021Treasury plans to give energy retailers control of consumer data should be abandoned