This submission responded to the Australian Government’s Issues Paper for the development of an Energy White Paper (the Issues Paper). In the submission, PIAC supported the recent amendments to electricity network reliability standards, which PIAC believes will put downward pressure on electricity prices in the long term. PIAC also proposed new ways that electricity networks could consult with their consumers about preferences for reliability standards, which are a major driver of network investment. The submission also recommended that the Australian Government support strong and effective regulation of networks, including through properly resourcing the Australian Energy Regulator to carry out this function. In addition, the submission highlighted the high volume of complaints against energy retailers. Finally, the submission noted that customer assistance for energy bills had not kept place with increases in bills in recent years and recommended that the Australian Government examine the issue of concessions and other assistance.
Related Media Releases & Coverage
- 9 Jan 2023‘Very legal loopholes’: Consumer groups seek tighter buy now, pay later curbs
- 22 Dec 2022Albanese plan has ‘dealt a blow’ to east coast gas supply
- 21 Dec 2022Consumers stuck with Snowy 2’s ballooning grid costs despite NSW energy deal
- 21 Dec 2022Anthony Albanese labels NSW energy deal ‘one of the biggest announcements’ he’ll make in office
- 21 Dec 2022Overhaul of energy concessions needed as three million households struggle to pay their energy bills