This submission responded to the NSW Government’s review of the targets for the performance of new developments against the Building Sustainability Index (BASIX). In the submission PIAC supported increasing BASIX targets for new developments, arguing that these targets benefitted consumers through reducing ongoing energy and water consumption, as well as the broader community. To continue to drive innovation in energy and water efficiency, PIAC also recommended that the NSW Government commit to reviewing the new BASIX target by 2020. Finally, PIAC recommended that the NSW Government complement any increase in BASIX targets with new programs to help consumers improve the efficiency of existing housing stock. PIAC recommended that one such program should build on the success of the NSW Government’s Home Power Savings Program.
Related Media Releases & Coverage
- 29 Sep 2023Australia’s transmission task needs a new approach – let’s open it up to competition
- 28 Aug 2023Eraring extension unnecessary: Government has cheaper, cleaner options
- 25 Aug 20232SER: Turning down the gas
- 18 Jul 2023“We can electrify the smart way, or the slow and expensive way”
- 15 Jun 2023Consumer groups welcome Knock to Stay Connected customer code for energy companies