This submission responded to the NSW Government’s review of the targets for the performance of new developments against the Building Sustainability Index (BASIX). In the submission PIAC supported increasing BASIX targets for new developments, arguing that these targets benefitted consumers through reducing ongoing energy and water consumption, as well as the broader community. To continue to drive innovation in energy and water efficiency, PIAC also recommended that the NSW Government commit to reviewing the new BASIX target by 2020. Finally, PIAC recommended that the NSW Government complement any increase in BASIX targets with new programs to help consumers improve the efficiency of existing housing stock. PIAC recommended that one such program should build on the success of the NSW Government’s Home Power Savings Program.
Related Media Releases & Coverage
- 2 May 2022Rising electricity prices pushing households to the wall
- 25 Feb 20222SER interview re Renewable Energy Zones
- 5 Aug 2021Increased energy bill support welcome news for NSW households under lockdown
- 22 Jun 2021Community and industry collaborate for better outcomes for people experiencing vulnerability
- 1 Jun 2021Treasury plans to give energy retailers control of consumer data should be abandoned