In this submission to the NSW Government, PIAC urges the Government to establish a new body or resource an existing body such as the Ombudsman or Police Integrity Commission, to independently investigate critical incidents involving police; and to publicly release the NSW Police Force Critical Incident Guidelines. PIAC also recommends that the NSW Government publish all reports of critical incident investigations by police in a timely fashion, except where this would interfere with a Coronial Inquest; and amend the Police Act 1990 (NSW) to include provisions relating to the investigation of critical incidents involving police. Lastly, PIAC calls on the NSW Government to conduct a broader public inquiry to consider whether an independent body should be tasked with the investigation of critical incidents involving police.
Related Media Releases & Coverage
- 7 Mar 2017Vulnerable at risk as community legal centres face 'funding cliff'
- 6 Mar 2017Urgent need for more legal services for DV victims: Report
- 31 Jul 2013Tony's Story of Becoming Homeless: ABC Radio
- 16 May 2013I didn't really think of myself as homeless says Veronica ...
- 18 Mar 2013Australian cities become more expensive