This submission outlines PIAC‘s response to the Australian Energy Market Commission’s (AEMC) Issues Paper for its review of the effectiveness of competition in retail electricity and natural gas markets in NSW. The submission states that at this stage of the process, PIAC has an open mind about price deregulation in the Ausgrid and Endeavour Energy electricity network areas. However, PIAC submits that there is not effective competition in the Essential Energy network area, covering much of rural and regional NSW. PIAC‘s research report, Choice? What Choice? showed that consumers in some regional centres experience extremely low levels of competition. PIAC also submits that effective competition does not exist in natural gas markets in NSW, which should therefore continue to have price regulation. Finally, the submission outlines some other measures PIAC would like to see introduced if prices are deregulated, including an abolition of early termination fees.
Related Media Releases & Coverage
- 9 Sep 20222SER interview: energy reliability
- 24 Aug 20222SER interview: everyone deserves a healthy home
- 28 Jun 2022Does Australia need Tasmania to become a multi-billion-dollar 'Battery of the Nation'?
- 23 Jun 2022AUDIO: Calls for energy businesses to operate in good faith
- 19 Jun 2022‘The prices are so much more’: how apartment dwellers get locked into bad power deals