PIAC’s submission to the Commonwealth Attorney-General’s Department regarding the consolidation of Commonwealth anti-discriminaiton laws makes a number of recommendations to improve access to justice and achieve substantive equality. PIAC recommends changes to the definition of discrimination, reversing the burden of proof and creating a single limitations provision. PIAC argues that protection from discrimination should be extended to additional attributes including religion, housing status and being a victim of domestic violence. PIAC also supports the creation of a positive duty for public sector organisations. PIAC makes a number of recommendations in relation to the complaints and compliance framework for discrimination, including creating a no-costs jurisdiction, broadening standing rules, and empowering a new Equality body to bring enforcement action.
Related Media Releases & Coverage
- 21 Dec 2023UN committee report slams Australia's 'inhuman' prisons
- 25 Oct 2023Coalition of experts call on NSW government to raise age of criminal responsibility
- 25 Oct 2023Renewed push for NSW to raise age of criminal responsibility to 14
- 25 Oct 2023Leading Organisations come together to #RaiseTheAge in NSW
- 16 Sep 2022Call for UN torture watchdog to investigate Australia’s handcuffing of asylum seekers en route to medical care