The United Nations Human Rights Council undertook a Universal Periodic Review (UPR) of Australia’s Human Rights Record in January 2011. The Committee provided Australia with 145 recommendations. This submission responds to the Government’s request for brief comments on which recommendations should be accepted or rejected; and which should be a priority. PIAC submits that all UPR recommendations should be accepted and offers a few specific examples for how recommendations about equality and non-discrimination and the rights of indigenous can be realised.
Media Releases & Coverage
- 16 Feb 20242SER: Improving the future of flying for people with disability
- 7 Feb 2024NSW government launches review after court hears Aboriginal baby’s aunt refused as carer due to same-sex relationship
- 6 Feb 2024‘Shocking example of legalised homophobia’ confirms need for new NSW Anti-Discrimination Act
- 6 Feb 2024Aboriginal baby's gay aunt refused as carer, sparking call for law change
- 1 Feb 20242SER: Return to school, return to LGBTQ discrimination