The United Nations Human Rights Council undertook a Universal Periodic Review (UPR) of Australia’s Human Rights Record in January 2011. The Committee provided Australia with 145 recommendations. This submission responds to the Government’s request for brief comments on which recommendations should be accepted or rejected; and which should be a priority. PIAC submits that all UPR recommendations should be accepted and offers a few specific examples for how recommendations about equality and non-discrimination and the rights of indigenous can be realised.
Media Releases & Coverage
- 20 Jan 2023Australia fails to meet anti-torture deadline
- 9 Jan 2023‘Very legal loopholes’: Consumer groups seek tighter buy now, pay later curbs
- 22 Dec 2022Albanese plan has ‘dealt a blow’ to east coast gas supply
- 21 Dec 2022Consumers stuck with Snowy 2’s ballooning grid costs despite NSW energy deal
- 21 Dec 2022Anthony Albanese labels NSW energy deal ‘one of the biggest announcements’ he’ll make in office