In its submission to the Tasmanian Consultation on the proposed Human Rights Charter of Rights and Responsibilities. PIAC focuses on identifying the features of effective human rights protection and promotion that it considers necessary to build into the legislation. PIAC supports the introduction of the act to protect all of the rights set out in the ‘International Bill of Rights’ (Universal Declaration of Human Rights, International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights and the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights) as well as third generation rights as reflected in the South Africa Rights Charter.
Media Releases & Coverage
- 20 Jan 2023Australia fails to meet anti-torture deadline
- 9 Jan 2023‘Very legal loopholes’: Consumer groups seek tighter buy now, pay later curbs
- 22 Dec 2022Albanese plan has ‘dealt a blow’ to east coast gas supply
- 21 Dec 2022Consumers stuck with Snowy 2’s ballooning grid costs despite NSW energy deal
- 21 Dec 2022Anthony Albanese labels NSW energy deal ‘one of the biggest announcements’ he’ll make in office