Lobbying is an important and influential aspect of a healthy participatory democracy. It must be governed by high standards and be accountable, ethical and fair in terms of access to and influence on decision makers. Responsibility for ensuring such high standards lies with the lobbyists as well as all public office holders. In this submission, PIAC recommended the introduction of regulations for all Members of both Houses of the Parliament, their staff and third parties to require public reporting of activities, establishment of a Parliamentary Standards Officer and inclusion of sanctions.
Media Releases & Coverage
- 16 Sep 2020Morrison gas plan no help for consumers, bad for taxpayers and disaster for environment
- 19 Aug 2020Ombudsman highlights excessive use of force in immigration detention
- 5 Aug 2020Re-opening Christmas Island is a cruel and ineffective response to the threat of COVID-19 in immigration detention
- 30 Jul 2020Should ten year olds be jailed?
- 21 Jul 2020#RaiseTheAge interview on ABC 702 Breakfast