PIAC coordinated a group of NGOs, including the Australian Branch of the International Commission of Jurists, Australian Lawyers for Human Rights, the University of Sydney Institute of International Law, NSW Community Legal Centres and NSW Civil Liberties to make public comment on NSW Government legislation allowing police to execute search warrants secretly or “covertly” without notice the occupiers of a property or their neighbours, thereby infringing the human right to privacy.
Related Media Releases & Coverage
- 16 Dec 2021Almost 3,000 children in NSW hit with fines of up to $5,000 for minor Covid rule breaches
- 7 Dec 2021Unfair COVID fines causing hardship and should not be enforced, advocates say
- 5 Dec 2021More than 7000 people challenge COVID-19 fines, but most fail
- 21 Nov 2021Opinion: Australia must raise the age of responsibility to 14 or keep trapping children in a quicksand of criminality
- 15 Nov 2021Attorneys General feet of clay when it comes to criminal responsibility