This submission responds to the second federal government Green Paper on electoral reform. In its first submission, PIAC focussed on financing and management of election campaigns; this submission deals with electoral enrolment, voting systems and polling. PIAC puts forward recommendations based on implementing a secret ballot for all adult Australian citizens. To do this, legislative reform is required and the application of new technology for enrolments and casting a ballot. To support the reforms a civic education program is also required to ensure that the community, particularly young people and those granted citizenship, are familiar with Australian government and electoral systems.
Related Media Releases & Coverage
- 4 Feb 2022Extremely disappointing reports fail to address fundamental problems in Religious Discrimination Bill
- 7 Sep 2017High Court declares government’s same-sex marriage vote lawful
- 6 Sep 2017Government confident of winning High Court challenge against marriage survey
- 6 Sep 2017Postal survey on same-sex marriage 'unique and offensive', high court told
- 5 Sep 2017Same-sex marriage survey funded by 'executive fiat' is illegal