In its submission to the National Consultation, PIAC focuses on identifying the features of effective human rights protection and promotion that it considers necessary to build into any future framework. PIAC advocates for a Human Rights Act to protect all of the rights set out in the ‘International Bill of Rights’ (Universal Declaration of Human Rights, International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights and the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights) as well as third generation rights as reflected in the South Africa Rights Charter.
Related Media Releases & Coverage
- 16 Sep 2022Call for UN torture watchdog to investigate Australia’s handcuffing of asylum seekers en route to medical care
- 16 Sep 2022Handcuffing in Australian immigration detention needs urgent review ahead of UN visit
- 6 Feb 2020Religious discrimination bill: what will Australians be allowed to say and do if it passes?
- 30 Jan 2020Provisions of Religious Discrimination Bill too ‘severe’, human rights commissioner says
- 10 Dec 2019Religious Discrimination Bill remains a threat to human rights