This submission responds to the NSW Sentencing Council’s request for submissions on its review of the sentencing procedure for alcohol-related violent crime. HPLS’s submission focuses on the Sentencing Council’s proposed addition of alcohol as an aggravating factor in sentencing under s21A of the Crimes (Sentencing Procedure) Act 1999. The submission argues that such a change would significantly impact upon those experiencing homelessness and that a more effective means of reducing alcohol-related violence is to develop court-sponsored treatment programs for those with alcohol abuse issues.
Media Releases & Coverage
- 30 Nov 20232SER: Uncovering misuse of handcuffs in immigration detention
- 17 Nov 20232SER: Fighting the NDIS age cap at the UN
- 16 Nov 2023Asylum seeker settles handcuff case against Serco, govt
- 15 Nov 2023Commonwealth settles case with asylum seeker who missed medical appointments because of handcuff PTSD
- 15 Nov 2023Asylum seeker settles handcuffing case against the Commonwealth