This submission responds to the NSW Sentencing Council’s request for submissions on its review of the sentencing procedure for alcohol-related violent crime. HPLS’s submission focuses on the Sentencing Council’s proposed addition of alcohol as an aggravating factor in sentencing under s21A of the Crimes (Sentencing Procedure) Act 1999. The submission argues that such a change would significantly impact upon those experiencing homelessness and that a more effective means of reducing alcohol-related violence is to develop court-sponsored treatment programs for those with alcohol abuse issues.
Media Releases & Coverage
- 19 Sep 2022Activists Want The UN To Look Into Inhumane Use Of Handcuffs On Asylum Seekers
- 19 Sep 2022Being handcuffed for medical appointments left asylum seeker Yasir shaken. Why is it happening?
- 16 Sep 2022Call for UN torture watchdog to investigate Australia’s handcuffing of asylum seekers en route to medical care
- 16 Sep 2022Handcuffing in Australian immigration detention needs urgent review ahead of UN visit
- 9 Sep 20222SER interview: energy reliability