The Australian Government has committed to an expansion of the national mandatory Renewable Energy Target (RET) so that a minimum of 20 per cent of Australia’s electricity is generated from renewable sources by 2020. In its submission to the COAG Working Group on Climate Change and Water, PIAC supports the expansion of the RET but advocates that the scheme must minimise the cost to consumers and include measures to protect low-income households from higher electricity prices.
Media Releases & Coverage
- 20 Jan 2023Australia fails to meet anti-torture deadline
- 9 Jan 2023‘Very legal loopholes’: Consumer groups seek tighter buy now, pay later curbs
- 22 Dec 2022Albanese plan has ‘dealt a blow’ to east coast gas supply
- 21 Dec 2022Consumers stuck with Snowy 2’s ballooning grid costs despite NSW energy deal
- 21 Dec 2022Anthony Albanese labels NSW energy deal ‘one of the biggest announcements’ he’ll make in office