The Ministerial Council on Energy (MCE) recently released nine principles to guide the future development and implementation of community service obligations (CSOs) in the energy industry. PIAC supported many of these principles, such as that CSOs should be transparent and regularly reviewed. However, PIAC objected to the general presentation of CSOs as a burden on industry which should be implemented as cheaply as possible. PIAC recommended the inclusion of an overarching principle affirming the value of CSOs as empowering low-income and other disadvantaged consumers to enjoy a safe, affordable, reliable and sustainable supply of energy.
Related Media Releases & Coverage
- 29 Sep 2023Australia’s transmission task needs a new approach – let’s open it up to competition
- 28 Aug 2023Eraring extension unnecessary: Government has cheaper, cleaner options
- 25 Aug 20232SER: Turning down the gas
- 18 Jul 2023“We can electrify the smart way, or the slow and expensive way”
- 15 Jun 2023Consumer groups welcome Knock to Stay Connected customer code for energy companies