The Ministerial Council on Energy (MCE) recently released nine principles to guide the future development and implementation of community service obligations (CSOs) in the energy industry. PIAC supported many of these principles, such as that CSOs should be transparent and regularly reviewed. However, PIAC objected to the general presentation of CSOs as a burden on industry which should be implemented as cheaply as possible. PIAC recommended the inclusion of an overarching principle affirming the value of CSOs as empowering low-income and other disadvantaged consumers to enjoy a safe, affordable, reliable and sustainable supply of energy.
Related Media Releases & Coverage
- 27 May 2022Welcome news: increased financial assistance for NSW households facing rising energy bills
- 2 May 2022Rising electricity prices pushing households to the wall
- 25 Feb 20222SER interview re Renewable Energy Zones
- 5 Aug 2021Increased energy bill support welcome news for NSW households under lockdown
- 22 Jun 2021Community and industry collaborate for better outcomes for people experiencing vulnerability