The Ministerial Council on Energy (MCE) recently released nine principles to guide the future development and implementation of community service obligations (CSOs) in the energy industry. PIAC supported many of these principles, such as that CSOs should be transparent and regularly reviewed. However, PIAC objected to the general presentation of CSOs as a burden on industry which should be implemented as cheaply as possible. PIAC recommended the inclusion of an overarching principle affirming the value of CSOs as empowering low-income and other disadvantaged consumers to enjoy a safe, affordable, reliable and sustainable supply of energy.
Related Media Releases & Coverage
- 9 Sep 20222SER interview: energy reliability
- 24 Aug 20222SER interview: everyone deserves a healthy home
- 28 Jun 2022Does Australia need Tasmania to become a multi-billion-dollar 'Battery of the Nation'?
- 23 Jun 2022AUDIO: Calls for energy businesses to operate in good faith
- 19 Jun 2022‘The prices are so much more’: how apartment dwellers get locked into bad power deals